White House budget director Russ Vought withholds $2.1B Chicago funding
Summary
- Russ
Vought announced $2.1 billion withheld. - Funds
targeted Chicago infrastructure projects. - Funding
fights hit Democratic areas. - Action
linked to government shutdown issues.
A long-awaited plan to extend the city’s Red Line rail is
impacted by the hiatus. The funds were “put on hold to ensure funding is
not flowing via race-based contracting,” Vought stated on social media on
Friday.
In a similar announcement earlier this week, Vought warned
that $18 billion in infrastructure spending, including money for a new rail
tunnel beneath the Hudson River, will be put on hold in New York.
Trump, the president, has adopted Vought’s strategies. He
shared a video on Thursday night that showed him carrying a scythe and wearing
a hood, portraying him as the reaper.Chicago’s transportation plans would suffer a serious
setback if the funds were lost. In order to improve access for underprivileged
populations, the Red Line expansion is planned to add four train stops on the
city’s South Side.
The Red and Purple lines, which Vought said
were also the focus of a larger modernization project, will also modernize
stations and eliminate a bottleneck where many lines converge.
In the case of New York, Trump’s Transportation Department
stated that it had been investigating whether any “unconstitutional
practices” were taking place in the two large infrastructure projects, but
that it was compelled to furlough the staff members who were doing the study
due to the government shutdown that started on Wednesday.
The White House is blaming New York Senate Democratic Leader
Chuck Schumer for the standoff, and the suspension of payments is probably
intended to attack him. He claimed commuters would suffer as a result of the
funding freeze.
“Obstructing these projects is stupid and counterproductive
because they create tens of thousands of great jobs and are essential for a
strong regional and national economy,”
Schumer said on X.
What specific Chicago projects are affected by the freeze?
A proposal to expand the Red Line in Chicago south to the
130th Street station brought forward after much anticipation is heading toward
completion. This will expand transit access to underserved neighborhoods.
In addition to the large proposal, the plan will also
improve stations and alleviate an existing pinch point between the Red Line and
the Purple Line to improve the transit efficiency between these routes.
These transit projects have received federal funds and are
involved with overall infrastructure improvements for the public transit system
in Chicago, which are important projects. Delays could result in unfavorable
impacts to these projects that can affect commute times and economic
development of the communities.